Re: E30 325is oil pan gasket replacement

Kevin,

To remove the oil pan, you will have to lift the motor just enough to
gain a little bit of clearance to slide the pan out.  You may or may not
have to loosen the motor mounts, but you will not have to remove them.
If I remember right, I lifted the motor by placing a floor jack on the
transmission and by jacking slightly on the AC mount brackets.  Just go
in there and jack where necessary to gain enough clearance.  On the two
325 oil pans I have done, I never had to move the steering rack or drop
the subframe.  It's a challenge to get at the oil pan bolts that are
directly above the steering rack, but it can be done.  I would atleast
try to get it out before touching the subframe and/or steering rack.

Good luck!