Re: E30 325is oil pan gasket replacement

Kevin, I'm currently replacing my oil pan gasket(it was not leaking but I
broke it...). It is a 1991 318 (E30). It is required to lift the engine,
but only 1/4" or so to remove the weight of the engine from the
crossmember. Then the crossmembre needs to be lowered with a floor jack as
needed. Also, for my car, the power steering pump needed to be unbolted
since it is attached the the casing of the oil pan (M42 engine).  In my
case, the oil pan is in two section. Firt I removed the lower pan, where
the oil pick up is, then I removed the oil pick up for clearance and after,
the other part of the oil pan.  The two lower bolts of the transmission
bellhousing need to be removed since they bolt into the pan (may be
different on a 325). So what needs to be done is: jack the car, lift the
engine, lower the crossmember/ steering rack assy.

Hope this helps

Michel Drainville
91 318ic