Re: E30 325is oil pan gasket replacement

Kevin McCarthy writes:

<< I have an '87 325is with 106,000 miles & a leaking oil pan gasket. My
 question is to anyone who has replaced one. Do I need to lift the engine
 in order to remove the oil pan?

As I recall from doing this on ne of our E30's, the steering rack needs to be
loosened and moved to the side, and the engine motor mounts need to be
loosened and the engine raised slightly (just enough to aid in the oil pan
removal).

You will have to squirm and wiggle the pan around down there, but it can be
removed...once you clear the large oil pump pick-up you'll be fine.

Good luck,

John Weese
BMW CCA #76646
'88 M5
'86 325es (son's)
'87 325is (other son's) (R.I.P.....lost the car, it saved my son!)
4 2002's