E30 325is oil pan gasket replacement

I have an '87 325is with 106,000 miles & a leaking oil pan gasket. My
question is to anyone who has replaced one. Do I need to lift the engine
in order to remove the oil pan?

I don't see any mention of lifting the engine in the Bentley manual. The
Haynes manual covers many cars and says something like "some cars will
require that the engine be lifted" but doesn't mention which ones. The
BMWCCA Roundel magazine has been doing a series of articles on the E30
and it mentioned lifting the engine to replace the oil pan gasket.

I'd like be a little more certain that I don't have to lift the engine
before getting into the job.

Thanks,
Kevin