brake light circuit fault

I have a brake light circuit fault indicated on the
dash of my 1990 525i (e34). I am looking for
suggestions of what to check, I have have replaced all
of my brake light bulbs. Which relay(s) should I check
in my fuse box? I recently had a new radio installed,
a week later this error popped up. When I pull 1 of
the relays which I know for certain is connected to
the brake light circuitry (I know it is part of the
circuit because when the relay is pulled I also get
the brake light circuit failure error)my new radio
loses power, could the new radio be pulling too much
power or could it have screwed up the relay. Is there
a way to test the relay?

Thanks,
Darryl Polk
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/