RE: What would you do?

Kevin Ould [mailto:kevinould@domain.elided] wrote:

>   Hey all. In my quest for a BMW I have found two this week
> that I like. One is a 1995 325is with Sport Package and one
> a 1997 328is with sport package. I would like to ask the list's
> opinion on, if you were in my shoes what would you do.

Kevin,
Set the budget and buy the best item that fits the description. If your
budget supports a 328 or an M3 (can't judge in CA $), either one would be
better then a 325 all other things being equal (condition, desired options,
etc).

>   Save some money($6000) and go for the older car or is
> having the newer model worth the extra cash. I am not sure
> as I have only ever owned relatively "old" cars.

It's all largely subjective. So drive both and see what you like more: extra
cash in the bank or a quicker car ;-)

> The 328 that I drove(the 96 from above) seemed a little more
> powerful than a 95 325is I drove a while back (no sport package).
> But as I understand it more can be done performance wise to the
> pre OBD2 cars?

Yes, but not enough to overcame the displacement deficit. At least not with
2.5->2.8 liter gap.
Pre-95 and '96+ M3s are another story.

alex f