RE: What would you do?

I sent a reply to Kevin directly, but will fill the
group in for what it's worth.

I just made a similar decision, with desires for
an M3, but a MAX 20k budget.  I ended up buying a
pristine 93 325is for significantly less than my
budget.  The car has full M3/RD bodywork including
front and rear spoilers and skirts, M3 double
10 spoke wheels, RD anti-roll bars, RD cat back
exhaust and chip, K&N (unshielded) intake, remote radar
detector, K40 laser "jammer", and 3k worth of alpine/PPI/
ADS/Phoenix Gold audio equipment.

All told, I still "wish" I had an M3, but I am thrilled with
the car.  It has left me with a significant budget left
over to mod as I please (or better yet, do some autocrossing
and driver's schools).

Hopefully in a few years, I will either install M3 drivetrain
or forcedly induce the car (if I am thrilled with it and want
to keep and personalize it), or I will sell it with very little
depreciation, and buy a used M3 sedan, E46 M3, or maybe even
an M5...

FWIW...

Steve

Stephen M. Andersen                                      (302) 326-6405
Engineering Manager                               FAX  (302) 326-6401
AdvanTek International, LLC                     Cell   (302) 547-9842
56 Read’s Way                               andersen@domain.elided
New Castle, DE 19720