Waterpump r and r

Ben Wrote<<Can some kind soul email me instructions on how to remove the
water pump,
including the radiator fan.  >>

This is how I just did my 88 735i.

Remove fan shroud by pulling out two plastic rivets.  Grab fan shaft nut
with Channel Locks,  unscrew clockwise(left handed thread). Sometimes you
need a skinny wrench and a hammer for this step, but channel locks have
always worked for me.   Store fan/clutch vertical so fluid doesn't leak out.
Drain radiator..unhook hoses, To take out the radiator ..remove two plastic
thingies at the top of radiator that hold it to the nose of the car..(slip a
knife blade between the plastic teeth of the fasteners and then push down on
the hooks under the nose lip.)  Undo ATF cooler lines if car is automatic.
Remove Radiator ..( Skip this step if you only want to take out the
waterpump)

Remove fan pulley by undoing the bolts..keep pulley from turning by leaning
on the fan belts..if this fails jam it with a big screwdriver on the bolt
heads and waterpump shaft. Remove all fan belts..don't forget to loosen the
pivot bolts as well as the clamp bolts or the adjusters won't move.
Remove hose from waterpump, remove all waterpump bolts,  remove waterpump,
and clean old gasket off block with a razor blade.  Coat new gasket with
gasket goo..permatex tite seal, etc.

Coat all fasteners with "never seize"

Assembly is reverse of removal..torque all fasteners evenly, go around the
water pump bolts a few times to squeeze out the gasket compound.

Use new belts..they are cheap, and if you have ever changed a waterpump
belt, at night in the rain by the roadside..on Sunday, after skiing...on a
lonely stretch of road.....you will WISH you had used new belts!  ( You will
also wish for a NEW belt to put on instead of the old one you DO? carry for
a spare don't you? (I had an old one aboard, but then I got to later change
that one for a new belt!) Better have the toolbox and a flashlight..but then
again I have been recently described as a "Walking Swiss Army Knife"!!

Some day I'm going to get one of those "emergency belts"

Refill cooling system,  open bleed screw on thermostat, and keep filling and
running the engine until the car doesn't overheat, and clear coolant with no
bubbles comes out the bleed screw..This seems to take a bunch of tries each
time I do it!

Good Luck

Dave Leonard

With a 220k mile 735i, and a new radiator waterpump, and v belts last
week..total cost was $400.00 with a factory radiator.

Now I'm redoing the rocker panels on my Suburban so I can get an inspection
sticker..damn roadsalt and rust!