E28 '87 535 iS Aux. Fans

Help me understand why both low and high speed cooling fans don't seem to
ever come on.  Each fan operates when the + and - wires connected to the
temperature switches (installed in the radiator) are shorted together.
These fans just seem to never turn on automatically, no matter how high the
water temperature gets.  The low speed fan operates as designed when the AC
'on' button is engaged.  I have not put the temperature control switches in
a hot water bath to determine at what temperature they switch, however, I
did replace both with new with no change.  What am I not understanding?

C French
'87 535 iS
clfr@domain.elided