radar detectors, another vote for V1 (long)

I was pulled over once last year, and I was let off since he couldn't
confirm whether he got a good reading.  I was very lucky, and that very day
I ordered a Valentine One online.  I've got a Passport in my truck, (ancient
by electronics' standards, but functional), and I've also read some feedback
from others on the K40 and V1 on the Porsche Rennlist.  The V1 was very
popular, with an overwhelming number of people chiming in for it, while the
K40 seemed to be less popular.  The K40 has a very nice integrated
installation, with hidden front and rear receivers, and a display that can
be installed very stealth-like into the dash.  The V1 has a higher mounting
of the front and rear sensors (top of the windshield seems ideal), and some
think that this must allow for greater range/warning, versus a signal
perhaps aimed at another car's bumper.

I watched a V1 in action the next day (!), when my customer drove me to the
airport (in his 911SC) so I could fly home from a stereo installation on his
car.  Out here, at least, in CA, the CHP use KA band, and if it's "on" in
their car or bike, you pick it up a good distance away.  The V1 will also
tell you what direction the radar is coming from (side, rear, front) how
many signals, and which band(s).  Many city police I see using K band, and X
Band seems to be entirely false alarms.  I've never seen a Laser warning.
I'm going to pull out the manual and change the programming to ignore X
band, since it's just and annoyance when it goes off.  This thing is
fantastic, I appreciate all the information it provides.

In my e30 325, I was able to mount the detector up high in the windshield,
sort of sandwiched between the mirror and the overhead "check" display.  I
tapped into a switched 12 volt source right up there as well.  I can see the
display alright, and it's really hard to notice from most other angles.

- -Rod Birch