Re: Radar Detectors

Seeker,

Detectors are illegal in VA and DC.  Several other states (NY, for one) make
detectors illegal in trucks.

As far as VA police knowing if you have a detector, they use three methods
to determine whether you have a detector:

1) Visual - If they see a detector mounted in your car, you'll be pulled
over, even if it's turned off.  Ask me how I know...

2) VG-2 - Some VA State Police cars are equipped with VG-2 detectors, which
detect the small IF signal that many detectors emit.  If your detector is
turned off, VG-2 won't detect it.  If their VG-2 indicates that you have a
detector, they'll pull you over to talk about it.  Again, ask me how I
know...

3) Reaction - Sometimes the police will keep the radar gun turned off, and
momentarily 'key it' to send a signal.  If you happen to hit your brakes
when this happens, he'll probably repeat it again in a minute. If you hit
the brakes again, chances are you're running a radar detector, and he'll
pull you over to talk about it.

If you get pulled over with a radar detector, VA police will not confiscate
the unit if you're an out-of-state resident.  (Again, ask me how I know...)
He will take the unit to write down the serial number, and to verify that
it's an operational unit, but he'll return it to you when he gives you your
ticket.

If you're a VA resident caught with a detector, they may confiscate it
(although I'm not sure about this).

The fine (for out-of-state residents) for having a detector in VA used to be
$50, and there were no points issued.  I'm not sure if this is the same for
VA residents.

When I worked in VA, I equipped my car with a Bel 615STiR (remote unit),
with VG-2 'immunity'.  That way, there was no visible or VG-2 detectability.
  I figured that the possible $50 fine was an occasional "usage fee" for
using a detector in VA.  I'd rather pay $50 once every few years than pay
big bucks and get points (transferrable to many states) for getting a
speeding ticket.

By the way, the only way that a VA trooper will pull you over and NOT give
you a ticket for having a detector is if the detector is out of reach of the
driver (in the trunk), and isn't turned on.

- -rb