Re: Radar Detectors

Gustavo wrote, in part:

<<...a VG2 radar will not be detected by the public servants, as for the
right to confiscate it, well is a grey area, IT IS YOUR property within YOUR
property, but I known someone who got a wonderfull $ 200.00 ticket *L*

regards,

Gustavo>>

    I think he meant to say a VG2-immune detector will not be detected by the
public servants (VG2 is the cops' radar detector detector.)  This may be
true, depending on the amount of signal a given detector emits for the VG2 to
pick up.  As for the "gray area" right to confiscate it, this is Virginia
we're talking about; they have some truly archaic laws on the books.  They
reserve the right to confiscate; whether an officer exercises it is up to his
discretion.  Supposedly you'll get it back, after maybe paying a fine, but I
can't speak to that or the condition it might be in.  "Your property within
your property" can also apply to being caught with illegal drugs in your
house-- how do you spell DEA?
   When I lived in VA, I was stopped for running my "old" Solo.  We had each
set off the other's detectors.  I was the only one around.  I knew the risks.
 I also knew the officer had to be able to prove there was an "operational
detector inside the vehicle".  As he turned around to chase me I pitched the
battery out the window, hence an *inoperational* detector.  He told me he
stopped me because his VG2 alerted, and could he look at my detector.  I
complied, but of course he couldn't get it to work.  He asked me several
(fortunately vague) questions, trying to get me to implicate myself; I gave
only vague (but true) answers.  (Okay, so I stretched it when I said I took
its battery to put in my smoke detector at home-- I had, at one time!)  He
even asked if I bought my car used, since it might have a remote detector I
might not know of, and could he check the rest of my car for such.  I
complied, knowing he wouldn't find one.  In the end, he was frustrated and
said he knew it was me, but since he had no evidence that I was the one who
set off his VG2, he had to let me go.  I breathed a big sigh of relief and
bought a new battery at the next store I saw.
    Ironically, Virginia's own Patrick Henry said, "Give me liberty or give
me death!"

Banzai Bimmer
Albuquerque, NM

Hey, VA, give us RADAR DETECTORS or give us death!!

End of bmw-digest V9 #1699