Re: Help!!!

Kevin,

I'm not familiar with your car, but on other BMWs that I own, this type of
problem could be caused by:

Bad or dirty idle control solonoid
Bad idle control module
Bad or mis-aligned throttle position sensor

My BMWs have an idle control solonoid that controls the amount of air sent
to the engine when the throttle plates are closed.  When it works properly,
it's constantly adjusting to control the amount of air admitted.  You can
feel it "buzz".  If it's bad, it can stick in the wrong position and provide
the wrong amount of air to the engine.

The electrical connections to this solonoid can also be intermittent,
causing a similar problem.

The idle control module is the "brain" that controls the position of the
idle control solonoid.  It receives input from the engine (temperature, rpm,
throttle position), and adjusts the position of the solonoid accordingly.
Obviously, if this is bad, you car won't be able to idle properly (of at
all!).

Finally, the throttle position sensor provides an indication of the position
for the throttle plates.  When they are closed, a contact closure is
provided, which tells the idle control computer that the throttle plates are
closed, and it should go into "idle" mode.

As you open the throttle plates, a variable resistance is provided to your
car's engine computer, and it uses this resistance to determine how far open
the throttle plates are.

At wide open throttle, another contact closure is provided, which tells the
engine computer to go into WOT mode (usually ignoring the oxygen sensor, or
trying to keep the fuel mixture proper for most fuel efficient operation.

A bad fuel pump would cause engine operation problems at all speeds, not
just idle.

Way too much info, but hopefully it'll help you narrow down your problem.

- -rb