More Info on Idle problem

       I wrote yesterday about how my car would not idle and would keep
stalling out.  After I wrote to the list, I went back over to the car and
messed with it.  I started it and put my foot on the gas up to about 2000
rpm, the engine was extremely rough and the whole car shook, almost
violently.  Then, I took my foot off the gas and it immediately died again.
So I started it once again, but this time kept the idle at 1000 rpm until the
car warmed up, then I revved it a couple of times up to about 4 or 5 thousand
rpm, It sounded good.  Then I let my foot off the gas and it dropped down to
800 rpm and held it, extremely smooth.  So I took it around the block once at
about 45 or 50 and it was fine.  Just like normal.  Then I got back to the
house and turned the car off.  I started it again and it started going into
this weird trance, it would idle up to about 1200 then back down to 800 then
back up to 1200 about once every second.  It did this for about 15 seconds
until I got scared and put it up to about 2000 rpm.  I lit my foot off the
gas and it dropped back down to 800 again and held.  It had done this to me
the night before when it kept cutting off too.
       Thanks for all the replies I got from the list today, I havent got a
chance to try them all out, but will as soon as I can.  I just thought maybe
some more information would help diagnose my problem.  Any more thoughts
would be great.
                                     oo=m=oo
Kevin
86 735i