Battery question

With a recent move and divorce I have had to worry a little more about my baby's proper
care and feeding.  I have in the past heard of battery charging problems as related to
short drives.  As I know work only 1/2 mile from work and usually make trips of less
than 10 miles should I be worried about my battery charging?  Any ideas on how often I
should take an extended trip if this is going to cause me a problem?  Any other areas
that this kind of driving is going to create????  (I think I have noticed more carbon
build up making it take two times to start sometimes and although cleaners don't seem to
help a good run up to red line in a couple of gears seem to clean it out)  Thanks
guys/gals!
1997 328iS