Extended Oil Changes - 1st one on new motor

Hey all:

I am new here on the Bimmer list. For years I have been a dedicated Beemer
rider but last summer pulled the pin on a 2001 Z3 with the 3.0 liter motor.

Understanding the BMW position on the "free" maintenance schedule on the car
has been difficult. The dealer and the factory filter (aka "customer
service") have both talked in circles on my technical concerns and questions
regarding the extended schedules for oil changes. In other words they have
been evasive and have even hidden behind the shield of "proprietary
information" regarding the basis for the extended oil change schedules. That
tripped me since I am not trying to design the damned thing, only maintain
it. So no engineer would discuss this with me (i am a mech engr myself).

my biggest concern was the 1st extended oil change. 10 - 15k miles seems
crazy to me for the first change. does the factory have oil analysis results
or have they examined the oil filters to determine the extent of filtering
consumption at various mileages prior the first oil change? how long do they
run the engines in at the factory? no response from them...

so what i decided on was to run the engine in optimum conditions (warm
weather, highway mileage) and make the first change between 4 - 5k miles,
which i did. that was way, way extended based on my previous gut feel but
given the state of the art in improved tolerancing, sythetic oil, driving
conditions it seemed a reasonable time period. i only wish i would have
requested the oil filter to saved for my examination later. so although i
have a little remorse on waiting till 4.5k for the first change, i am
comfortable with a 5k change interval from this point on.

how about the 5 speed tranny and diff - i am considering a change in the
spring (car has 4.5, miles)? also, if anybody has or will consider
examination of the filter after the 1st change let me know, i am curious as
to the extend of filtering capacity used. worst case of course is the point
where the differential pressure exceeds the bypass relief and further
filtering no longer occurs. this would be more critical i would expect
during the first 5k miles.

thanks in advance

Dean M. Schantzen

End of bmw-digest V9 #1684