Re: <E30> M3 blower motor help please

Nigel Fox wrote:

>My 1988 m3 blower will now only blow on high. If I turn the switch to
>speed 1 2 or 3 the fan will not work. I have both spare switches and
>motors available. Does anyone know if my problem is the switch or
>motor. Please your knowledge could save me some time. Best wishes
>and happy new year to all !!!!
>nigel Fox

 Your speed restistor pack has blown, that's why the motor won't
work at the lower speeds.  At the highest setting the motor bypasses
the pack and gets a full 12+ volts.   You'll need to replace (or fix)
your resistor pack,  however it's very likely that the reason it blew
in the first place is because the blower motor is binding up/dragging
putting a higher load on the resistor pack, causing it to overheat and
blow (common on Volkswagens which have a very similar setup). I've
been through this with both my VWs;  i'd replace the resistor pack
only to have it blow again within weeks.  Replacing the binding motor
solved the problem once and for all and prevented my 3rd resistor
pack from blowing again :-)

 Was your motor ever screetching or making odd noises?  Did you
notice if the motor seemed to be wavering or slowing down?  If
you simply replace the resistor pack it may blow again if the motor
is indeed dragging.  You should probably install one of your spare
motors before replacing the resistor pack.

Randy
88 325is
89 325is RIP
85 Golf GTi