E28 Speakers

I just replaced the front and rear speakers on my 1988 535 and even with
$140 5-1/4" Cerwin-Vegas in the back, they have dramatically less bass
than the stock speakers I took out.  I expected tremendous bass since
they are driven by the stock amplifier in the trunk and I thought had
the entire trunk space as an enclosure.

The front $99 4x6 Pioneers in the kick panels sound good.

I am considering perforating the deck underneath the speakers so the
trunk will become part of the speakers free air space.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Can anyone recommend rear speakers that have more bass than stock?

Thanks,

Bill