325i won't start help!

Ok I just drove up north about 500 miles the other
weekend. I got up to northern califorina fine. But
after a few days the car wouldn't start on me. Turned
over but wouldn't start. So after a few hours of tring
to fix it myself I got the car towed to my macanic. It
turned out to be a bad fuel pump realy. I got the car
back and now two days later it has died on me again.
Keep in mind that this car is a 86 325e with a 87 325i
motor and brain. My question is where the fuel pumps
any different from an 86 325e lower reving motor, to
the 87 325i motor that rev's a little higher? Does
this fact make the pump harder? How canI check to see
if one on the fuel pumps has gone bad? How often do
these pumps fail? And if you have any thoughts on to
why the car may have died drop me a line. All the
macanics are closed this weekend and on monday. I need
to get back on the road back down to san diego on
wedsday.

Thanks,
Kyle Sanchez
CCA#175883