<all> pulsing dash lights

Drdemet5@domain.elided wrote:

I have a 92 325i.  Lately the odometer, and the little computer which
displays time/date/range/consum/temp/etc... seems to get brighter then
dimmer.  It doesn't happen often however it does happen about every other
day.  Anyone think it may be a regulator problem? I recently had to replace
the "comfort" relay which controls the power windows because for some reason

that relay fried and would turn on the power to the windows whenever it felt

like.  Thanx
- ---------------

A good indication that the alternator is about to pack it in is when some or
all of the dash lights begin to pulsate slightly, especially as engine speed
changes.  I've avoided breakdowns and major expense with my '92 525i and an
'86 325 by replacing the $30 voltage regulator attached to the back of the
alternator when the dash lights began pulsing.

BMWs, like most modern cars, draw a lot of juice to run our power
necessities.  In addition, our cars have engine management, climate control
and transmission control modules that depend on a rich steady flow of power.
As a result, impending problems with the alternator or other components of
the electrical system can manifest in unusual ways.  Case in point, my '93
325is with an automatic suddenly issued a "trans program" warning and began
running in default 3rd gear.  When I restarted, all was well for a few miles
than the warning would reappear and the transmission would again drop to
3rd.  Although the symptoms seemed to be signaling eminent transmission
mechanical failure, my mechanic found that the alternator had failed after
90,000 miles and simply stopped sending power to the transmission control
module.  The transmission is programmed to go into survival mode (3rd gear)
whenever electrical power is disrupted.

Even gear heads have their "sensitive side" in that we know our cars well
enough to pick up on these subtle warning signs that often mean the
difference between a 2 hour DIY repair in your warm garage or a flatbed ride
to the shop and bank.  Let's hear about your personal experiences with
Bimmer warning signs.

Ron Sanders
RLS5@domain.elided

93 325is