E30 "winding noise

"Quick question for some of you E-30 pros:

Upon initial 'take-off' I am hearing a slight metallic winding noise that
seems to be originating from the transmission/driveshaft area of my '88 325.
It typically subsides after I reach a speed over 10 miles per hour."

It sound suspiciously like a worn center driveshaft hangar bearing.  These
are usually noticable upon slowing  down with the clutch in as well.  If the
car has a bunch of miles on it I'd start there..or at least take a look if
possible...maybe un bolt it and wiggle/turn it and see if it is dry or rough
feeling when turned. (Hope you like lying on your back under a car)

Dave Leonard