Speaking of door locks

My '89 325iX is exhibiting some wacky behavior with its door locks.  The
driver's side lock works without fail but the passenger side is finicky.
Most of the time, it doesn't work at all.  Wen I insert the key, it doesn't
move.  However, if the car is unlocked, I can usually lock it from the
passenger side.  Once in a while, I can unlock it from the passenger side
but the lock buttons don't actually slide up.  That is, the doors don't
appear to unlock but when I pull on it, it's open.

Will a rebuild kit fix this or am I looking at deeper problems?