RE: 89 325iX problems

From: E30325is@domain.elided

> its always a good idea to immediately take care of
> worn suspension items IMHO. a neglected motor may
> leave you stranded, but a neglected suspension
> could leave you 50 ft. off the road in the woods.

...assuming, of course, that there isn't a tree in the way!

Having had to deal with the failure of a ball-joint
on my wife's old Jetta, all I can say is:

     Do _NOT_ delay getting ball joints fixed!

If a ball-joint fails, that wheel becomes partially
disconnected from the car and as they say, "then you're
a passenger".

We were lucky -- my wife was only doing ~20 mph when the
ball joint went.  It pulled her violently into the soft
sand on the side of the road, taking out the driveshaft
in the process.  I shudder to think what could have
happened had she been going at highway speeds...

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner