Re: E30 Brake Problems

Robert,

There are two aspects to brakes...the mechanical system and the hydraulic
system.  The hydraulic system actuates the brakes, and the mechanical system
(pads, rotors) stops the car.

What you describe is a hydraulic problem.  You haven't described the
condition of your calipers.  Have you checked them?  How far from the rotors
are the pads when you encounter the low pedal condition?  Is it the same as
when brake pads are changed and the caliper piston is pushed in to allow
room for the new pads, and then brake pedal needs to be pumped a few times
to take up the slack?

Also, what about your brake booster?  Check the vacuum lines, look for
leaks, etc.  I'm not sure whether Bentley has a procedure to test the
booster.

I don't think it's a mechanical problem (solved by new pads and rotors).

- -rb