Shimmy problem

I also have a 1996 328 which had the same problem, although not to the
extent you seem to have, Richard. The shimmy occurs around 80-90 kph and
disappears completely after 95 kph. It is more pronounced when the engine is
not under load, i.e. going down a hill.

This shimmy has been of varying degrees of annoyance depending on how
recently the wheels were balanced. Definitely, balancing fixes the symptoms!
My 328i has the sports package (M3 springs, shocks etc) with 16" wheels and
Pirelli P6000 225/50ZR rated tires inflated to 28psi front and 32psi rear
(as recommended). One of the problems I ran into, was the tires rotating on
the rims, especially on the front, probably due to hard braking (I'm an ex
pro motorcycle road-racer, so I tend to late-brake).

During the winter I put on a set of snows, mounted on steel wheels. These
also get balanced every year, and it makes a huge difference to the
smoothness of the ride.

I read somewhere that it is possible to get your wheels balanced while
mounted to the car, and that this produces a better result. I don't know,
because I have never tried it, but check it out.

Robin