RE: [Q] Disposing of Used Brake Fluid

> From: "Ron Buchalski" <rbuchals@domain.elided>
>
> With all the recent talk about changing brake fluid, I'm
> curious to find out what is the recommended way to dispose
> of used brake fluid.

The first approach is to visit your friendly auto service
station.  They do these jobs and somehow have to get rid of
their accumulated waste fluids.  This is one of those times
when establishing a good relationship with an auto service
establishment pays off.  Asking them to accept a quart of
used brake fluid as you are about to drop a few hundred bux
on service can work...

Now, let me get up on my soapbox for a couple of minutes --
change the channel if you don't want to hear it...

This is actually a pet peeve of mine -- I firmly believe
that the vast majority of the populace would be more than
happy to do the responsible thing and properly dispose of
"household hazardous waste" materials, _BUT_ will only do
so _IF_ it is fairly convenient.

My recommendation is to call your State government and
work your way through to whichever department is
responsible for environmental issues.  First, they may
be able to tell you where you can bring the stuff, but
more importantly, it will help them get a clue that this
is an issue that isn't going away and ought to be addressed.
If enough people let them know that they want to do the
right thing, but aren't able to, something will get done.

I actually went through this.  I had a couple of gallons
of coolant hanging around after doing a flush.  I had it
in the shed for about FOUR YEARS.  My local dump didn't
want it -- neither did I.  I finally called the State of
NH ("Live Free or Die", dammit!) and after about four
re-directs, I actually spoke to the guy who coordinates
the "Household Hazardous Waste" collection days that occur
in the various towns.  "You mean your town doesn't have
one?  All they have to do is work with us and we can get
it set up..."  Not that he couldn't have determined this
from his own available information, but the simple fact
that there was a resident in a particular town UNABLE to
do the right thing gave him pause.

He set me up with a neighboring town that was having a
collection day and I showed up there a few weeks later
with my gallons of coolant.

You know what happened then?  6-8 months later, _MY_
town announced its first ever "Household Hazardous Waste"
collection day.  I took that opportunity to get rid of
a bunch of old oil-based paint, and finally, a couple of
quarts of nasty old brake fluid I'd accumulated over the
years.  I'd like to think that it was my call to the
state that got this ball rolling, but who knows...

Thanks for listening,
Mike Kohlbrenner