RE: I think I want a bmw

From: JHahn22@domain.elided
> My girlfriend is telling me to give up on a fun pizza car and
> buy a Honda.

First of all, Honda's can be fun cars -- you just have to get
the right Honda.  An '88-'91 CRX Si would make a great "pizza
delivery car" -- small (maneuverable and easy to park), fuel
efficient, great reliability and a ton of fun to flog around.
These cars run at the front of the pack in SCCA Auto-X and
Club Racing for good reason.

With that said, it sounds like you really want a BMW and just
happen to also want to use it for your delivery job.  It should
do just fine, but again, you have to pick the right BMW.  You
are on the right track -- an E30 is the ticket.

> And yet other's have said that, when properly maintained, a
> BMW can outlast the hell out of a Honda.

The real difference here is that Hondas and Toyotas are RELIABLE,
whereas BMWs are DURABLE.  If you want a car that you can drive
into the ground with very little maintenance or worries, then go
for the Honda.  But be aware, that you WILL truly be driving it
into the ground.  They simply aren't as "sturdy" as a BMW, but
then, the BMW is built as a more "substantial" car that costs
twice as much.

If you can handle the somewhat increased maintenance requirements
of a decade old BMW (and it will need it...), you can certainly
look forward to driving it for yet another decade without worry of
the body getting all soft and "worn out".  The key will be doing
your own work -- they really aren't that pricey unless you are
paying someone else to do it all.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner