RE: I think I want a bmw

My first BMW was an 87 325is.  This car was purchased in 95 with about
80,000 miles on it.  I didn't know anything about it, and lucked out. I
drove it for about two years and it never broke down once.  Little things
(such as air conditioning) gave me fits.  The car had much more room and was
a lot more fun that my new Honda (88 Prelude) and new Acura (90 Integra).

Next I purchased a 90 M3, needed lots of work when I bought it (I knew this
but didn't really have the income to get it working properly in a timely
fashion), parts ran about 3 times what the 87 ran, and got to drive it about
a week out of two years.  Mostly with these cars, I say buy one that is in
top condition. I didn't that was a mistake.

New I purchased an 85 635csi automatic.  Purchased this car sight unseen,
over a dealer purchased inspection over the phone. Ha!  I drove the car for
two days straight across country after buying it through a snow storm.
Later I found I had a gas leak from the manifold, completely gone exhaust,
and again air conditioner problems.  It amazing It didn't catch on fire, but
then again it never stranded me.  I did have to replace the radiator also.
Little did I know these cars had high parts cost as well.  I spent 9k buying
it and 5k a year for two years fixing every little thing on it trying to get
it new again I suppose.  Well, after 20K in two years I bought a new 97
328is.

most fun I ever had was in the 87.  A lot less maintenance costs.  The 635 I
still miss to this day (people said I would would always miss it)  For some
reason this car still haunts me (in a good way)  I loved the manual
transmission in it and the big six.  I probably should have stuck with the
87 though, all things considered.

Hope I didn't ramble to much.  I have a file with costs I spent for
everything I you want Ill email you a list.  BTW  My brother had a 90 325is
that he meticulously maintained,  He sold the car and still regrets it.

- --
Mario Alessi
Alessi Design

http://homepage.mac.com/alessi