Speedometer help

I've written about this before, but need a little more help.  The
speedometer was working intermittently in my daughter's 1986 325es, but
ti has stopped completely now.  For awhile when you rapped the
instrument cluster firmly, the speedometer (and odometer) would start
working.

I did as instructed ny a number of people at my last posting.  I removed
the instrument cluster, took it apart, cleaned all the contacts, checked
the printed board with a magnifier, and put it back together.  Still
doesn't work at all.

The Bentley manual that I have is sadly lacking when it comes to the
speedometer.  There was one wire that plugged into a plastic block right
below the speedometer (I'm not talking about the 26 (or 16) pin
connectors.  This is a single wire, but there are numerous sockets on
this block that it would fit into.  I believe I returned it to the right
one, but I'm not sure, and the manual does not show this at all.  Also,
the manual doesn't show where the sending unit is for the speedometer,
or how to check it.

I'm not sure what to do next- pick up a new (or used) speedometer?, test
mine somehow (but how), replace the sending unit, or test the sending
unit (but how).  My daughter needs this to be working.

Thanks for any help.

Mike Yoh