RE: Speedometer help

Mike Yoh [mailto:mby@domain.elided] wrote:

> I've written about this before, but need a little more help.  The
> speedometer was working intermittently in my daughter's 1986
> 325es, but ti has stopped completely now. [...] I did as instructed
> ny a number of people at my last posting. I removed the instrument
> cluster, took it apart, cleaned all the contacts, checked the
> printed board with a magnifier, and put it back together.  Still
> doesn't work at all.

Mike,
Is your cruise control at all working? If so, the rear diff speed sender
(pulse sensor) is probably OK and the speedometer itself becomes the main
suspect. Look for a little plug with a harness sticking out of the back of
the rear differential.
If the speed sender is dead, the odometer might? also stop counting (this is
a guess on my part).
Rule the speed sensor out before you start shopping for a replacement
instrument cluster.

alex f