RE: I think I want a bmw

My brother has an '87 325is that has almost 300K miles on it, and although he's
planning on replacing it soon, it's still serving him quite well. The major
problems with the car are cosmetic---the typical broken driver's seat (right
side), paint issues, etc. The car has been driven pretty hard during it's life,
but the major issues have been pretty few and far between. For instance, he just
recently had to replace the clutch---for the first time, AFAIK. He was quite
particular about regular maintenance, though.

As a previous 1985 Euro 535i owner, I can vouch for how bulletproof the e28's
can be. I've talked to owners with well over 250K miles on 528e's and such, and
they only have good things to say about them. Then there's my 2002 sitting in my
driveway, begging me for a restoration, but that still starts like it did 6
months ago.

On the negative side of repair records, we've got a 1989 750iL. :-) Don't get me
wrong, the car is incredible, awesome, unbeatable. But it's also a $90,000 car,
with two of everything for redundancy/performance (some liken it to having two
6-cylinder engines welded together), so you have a higher rate of failure
overall. We've spent easily as much on repairs (not just maintenance) as on
purchasing the car (OK, so it's only worth $12K <vbg>).

Another factor is safety---the 750iL got rear-ended by a Honda recently. The
Accord (1998, I think) had a crumpled front-end, mainly the hood, but it was
very difficult to tell the 7 had been hit. :-)

In your shoes I'd buy a BMW. Why? Because my overwhelming passion for how these
cars drive, mixed-in with respect for their safety, has only developed over the
last 5 years and 6 BMW's I've had.

I'll end my discourse now. :-)

Cheerio, and good luck finding the right car.

James Nelson...
1989 750iL
1988 M5
1975 2002