Re: I think I want a BMW

An 89-91 E30 325 i/is definitely fits the bill.  They are reliable, fun
and relatively easy (and cheap) to maintain.  I've had a several.  You
should be able to find a excellent car within your budget of 6k and have
money left to spend on mods/maintenance.  Look for a well maintained car
w/ records.  No serious flaws with the 89+ cars, just check normal stuff
as buying any used car.  Replace the timing belt (cheap insurance).

E30's that spend their lives in the shop are cars that have been
neglected.  Get a Bentley manual ($40, the others Chiltons, Hayes,
etc... suck) and do the maintenance.  Since you maintained an Alfa, I'm
sure you can handle the BMW.  Don't give up the fun factor for utility.
You won't be disappointed with the E30.

HTH,

Tarun
91 M3 2.5 koalapower