Re: bmw-digest V9 #1569

   I just bought a '84 E28 520i (with about 200K km on it) about 4 months
back and it is in immaculate condition. Well, some cosmetic damage to the
paint job but everything else was perfect. The only thing I had to do was to
change the starter motor...and this was its first major mechanical repair
after 16 years, nothing else in the car had been touched, all original parts
since the car was manufactured! The previous owner was also a stickler for
regular maintenance and it came complete with maintenance records since she
bought it from the dealership 16 years ago. I can also testify to its
toughness..having driven it through the country from Canberra to Adelaide
and back, that's some 6000 km.
   The engine is as quiet as a mouse (the previous owner tuned to a
classical channel while I test drove it). The fuel consumption is comparable
to most 2000 model cars...it's about 12L / 100km (a Toyota Camry (same
2.0L), voted Australia's most economical family car drinks at 11L / 100km),
this is testimony to its EFI and engine resiliance! I am personally
astonished by its durability (it was parked near the beach by its previous
owner, but there had been no visible signs of rusting or corrosion except
for a chip on the paint work). Truly, a BMW is a performance machine....I
should know, I drive one :)

Damian
'84 E28 520i
PS. I haven't started on it's excellent handling!