Re: bmw-digest V9 #1569

Sounds like a similar issue I had in an 84 633. Assuming it is the same in your car, there is a chip in the fan speed control that
will eventually burn up (hence the smell) - without the chip (transistor) the fan is either on or off. I have extensive
instructions on how to replace this thing in an E24, its a bit of a pain but will work, at least for a while. Better soln. if you
can afford it is to get a whole new control. Note that this applies only to continually variable fan speed controls, if you have
several notches (speeds) in your control, then there is a resistor pack which I believe is easier to fix, instructions can be found
in Bentley manual if I recall correctly.

Todd Kenyon
'88 M5 73k
'95 318ti club sport (sold)
'84 633i (sold)

A/C problem.  I smelled a faint oder of "burnt wire" and then no fan
control, except on the high setting.  Blows cold.

Any idea as to what it is?  Easy repair?

I started looking through the archives but after an hour I decided I want to
fix my A/C before I grow older and die. Please help, Thanks,

Dominick
89 735i