Re: E34 525i Reverse Lights not working!

  Eugene;
        There is an unofficial bulletin on rear lites/trunk harness in the
E34's.The wiring harness often chafes where it passes by the trunk
hinge,which pinches it until eventual failure.You may be able to patch
it,but often the whole rear harness assembly in the trunk needs
replacement.Check with the local BMW dealer service advisor.
         Any shop that recommmends rebuilding the trans for a back-up lite
problem(one is mechanical,the other electrical) sounds like a good one to
avoid in future.Next he may suggest a valve job when the airbox gives
trouble.Try elsewhere.
         I actively retired three years ago,and even I know that's nonsense
at this stage.

                                o/______\o "RA"/Bob G.
                                (Oo=00=oO)