Re: Very Disappointed in BMW

You folks are GREAT!!
Thanks for all the helpful responses and suggestions.
Not too much new though, I'm afraid.

Car was purchased new. At first I though - "New car smell", it'll go away.
It didn't
1. There are no dead animals in the car. No animals (other than a few
humans), dead or alive, have ever been in the car.
2. Have tried Lysol, that GM product some of you suggested, and a couple of
other things. Problem persists. I live in SE Pa. and it gets a little humid
here in the summer. I thought this was the problem too, but it doesn't seem
to be.
3. Have replaced charcoal filters. Problem persists.
4. Seats have been out, door panels off, dashboard out to check some of
ductwork.
5. Had a water leak at the back doors which was repaired followed by
replacement of the carpet. Problem persists.
6. Air-conditioner drain checked. Seems to drain okay.
7. Like most of you, I've had lots of other cars, including BMW, and never
had this problem.
8. I'm pretty much convinced that it's a mold or mildew problem too, but I
don't know the origin.
I'm a bit frustrated.

I haven't checked for a transmission fluid leak onto the exhaust system.
But, I'd hope that BMW doesn't sell cars with leaky transmissions. I doubt
that this is the problem, since the odor is only a problem during the summer.
I also haven't tried Car Talk. At least that might help me retain my sense
of humor.
I guess I'll have to get a gas mask. Is it legal to drive while wearing a
gas mask?
Thanks for all your suggestions.
If you have any others, particularly with regard to getting a response from
BMW, let me know.
Jim