Re:Euro H/L Wiring Question

"Mike Theuri" <mikesoft@domain.elided> wrote on Sun, 13 Aug 2000:

<<<<snip>. . . I'm pretty sure the bulbs
in the center are the highs and I believe I neglected to mention that
all four lamps across the board come on when on hi-beam.  In the
center lamps, whats puzzling is that instead of a double filament bulb,
there are two individual bulbs in each of the center lamps. There is a
bulb at the top and one at the bottom in each of the center lamps. The
puzzling thing is what the lower set of bulbs at the center are for, I'm
suspecting lows but again I'm not so sure. I hadn't seen the lower
bulbs on Friday so when I asked my mech about the extra wire he was
of the opinion that it might be something to do with a fail test system
that he has seen in the e-36 325's but since we hadn't seen the other
bulbs I didn't pursue it further. Thanks for your assistance and if you
do find more about it please let me know.>>>>
- ----
Reply:
The small bulbs in the lower part of the high beam reflectors are
low-wattage "city" lamps.  Some places in Europe these lights are
illuminated in lieu of headlights in urban areas. They make the high beam
lights glow for visibility by other drivers, but don't provide useful
illumination of the road.  Typically the extra wire is hooked to the parking
lamp circuit so they would be on with the corner lights (and fog lights,
possibly).

Greg Williams
gaw@domain.elided
Lake Oswego, OR.