Re: Camaro SS vs. 95 M3

>Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 14:38:08 GMT
>From: "Paul Frederick" <pfrederi@domain.elided>
>Subject: Camaro SS vs. 95 M3
>
>   I must say I'm very disappointed and embarassed. This weekend I got
>smoked by a Camaro SS (in my all so powerful Dinan chipped95 m3) from a
>stand still at a red light(made me look like I was in reverse). Luckiliy I
>had none of my friends in the car with me. I have defenitely got to get
>some mods to ensure there is not a repeat performance.

No surprise here.  The Camaro SS has over 300 HP, and lots of torque way
down in the RPM range.  It's weight is similar to your M3.  So, a chip isn't
going to make up for it.

>   If I understand correctly the regular upgrades (chip, intake, maf
>sensor) does nothing to improve your take off from a stand still you only
>start to feel the improvement in the upper gears. Can anyone out there tell
>me if there is anything I can do to improve this part of my car's
>performance, besides the $$$$ upgrades of getting a supercharger or turbo?
>I determined to make sure this does not happen again, at least not by a
>Chevy.

Honestly, don't stoplight race a Camaro, Firebird, Mustang, or Corvette.
That's cheaper in the long run.  You'll need a 400 hp turbo setup to
confidently take them.

It could have been worse.  You could have lost to a turbo'd and nitro'd
Honda CRX!

An M3 was never intended to be a stoplight racer...

- -rb