94 530i Tough Technical Question

This is a tough one going out to all of you BMW technicians.  I have a 1994
530I with the problematic V8.  About 85% of the time the car runs great.
The other 15% of the time it runs like crap.  It hesitates and there is a
significant loss in power.  It seems like there is to much gas going to the
engine because you can smell gas coming out of the exhaust when it runs
poorly.  There are 2 ways I can make the car snap out of it.  If I am
driving and this happens and I have the space, I floor it for a few seconds
and the car will run fine.  If I am city driving, or come to a stop I
disconnect the battery for a minute or two and it will run fine once I
connect the battery again and start it up.  It took me a while to figure out
the battery thing.  Don't ask.  It seems like I am resetting something when
I disconnect the battery, but I am not sure if the problem is electrical or
not.  I have replaced and checked all the usual suspects including fuel
filter, air filter, plugs, coils, etc.  This is my last ditch effort to
resolve the problem on my own before I bring it to the dealer.  Any thoughts
on what it may be are greatly appreciated.  Please respond to me privately.
Thanks a lot.
- -Alan