Removing Carbon deposits?

Hi,

I think I've finally found the cause of a problem that's been bothering for
a while.  My 95 325i has been pinging whenever it's running between 2-3K,
mostly around 2500rpm.  Otherwise the engine runs silky smooth.  Yesterday
afternoon I replaced the spark plugs and noticed that the piston crowns for
each cylinder were coated with carbon deposits.  Is there any way to remove
this without removing the head?

The car sees a pretty even mix of city and highway mileage.  Any input is
appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Kalarness
'95 325i - Alpine White