chips in hood

I am the owner of '95 Avus blue M3. I have just recently noticed two chips
in my hood both the size of the tip of a q-tip. They are more like gorges
because i can see all the way down to the bare metal. Curiously there is no
indentation surrounding these chips which leaves me guessing as to how they
got there. Is this something I can repair? Am i causing more damage when I
keep washing my car and letting water get to the underlying metal?

Any help would be appreciated. I think I read somewhere on the web that on
small chips like these you can use something like fingernail polish to seal
the marks (i don't think so).