E34 Oil Level Indiacator Problem

Hello,

I have a problem with my '92 E34 525i, after driving down the autobahn or after
fairly "spirited" driving the Check Engine Oil level alert on the OBC ? comes on
(Not the oil pressure light).
After leaving the car a few minutes and checking with the dipstick it shows
there is enough oil in the engine.
Would this indicate a problem with the oil level sensor, or a problem with the
oil draining from the engine back into the sump?
Is it easy to replace the oil level sensor?

I need to look at the creaking door stop as well as I have read it can be quite
nasty if it fails.

Thanks for any assitance,

Neil Grundy