Re: <E12><E28> Tail light brightness/ Lack of...

Richard F. Viehdorfer wrote:
>Evening all...I have a common problem with two E28s and an E12; namely, that
>the taillights are brighter on one side than on the other. It affects all of
>the lights on that side, too -brake, running, and blinker. I've seen this
>frequently on alot of european cars, most notably Audis, VWs and even Volvos.
>It's usually a weak ground problem, but for the life of me I can't find
>anything wrong. Voltages read around 10.5 on either side of the car. Where do
>these circuits pick up there power from? Is there a point either in the trunk,
>or coming from the fuse block, that would be a likely culprit? Any hints,
>suggestions, or fixes that I can try would be welcome. Private emails
>please...

This can also be a problem of loss of reflector "chrome" surface. If this
is the case, you can try some of the chrome spray paint sold in Kmart and
every other auto parts location. On the E28 particularly, the bulb holder
itself can lose its contact points on the tabs where it makes contact with
the galvanized surface current track on the back of the reflector assembly.
Poor contact due to corrosion can cause arcing of the points (yeah, they're
actually points) and high resistance. New bulb holders are available at any
BMW dealer. Sometimes filings, sanding or bending will help or bring
temporary relief.  Most of these problems begin with a water leak into the
trunk, usually from a bad taillight gasket.

- -Phil Marx
 BMW CCA #6021