From: Tarun Kundhi [mailto:julie-tarun@domain.elided]
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2000 1:51 PM
To: fnelson@domain.elided
Subject: RE:E36><M3) More Incremental Bang for the Buck

Frank,

I feel the need to share my experiences with Turner for you.  Up until
recently, I had never spent any significant $$$ with TMS.  Generally
purchasing maintenance items such a brake pads and rotors.  Soon after
acquiring my E30 M3, I decided to install an oil pan baffle (very
important for that particular model).  I ordered it from TMS.  Received
it as expected and attempted the install myself.  I noticed that the fit
wasn't quite perfect, but I made a small modification and completed the
job.  I decided to get feedback from the E30 M3 list about possible
consequences as a result of my modifications.  I determined everything
was ok.  In any case, Will Turner was proactive and contacted me before
I had a chance to call his shop and discuss the issue.  (He had seen my
post to the list.)  He offered to replace the baffle.  Since it was
already installed, I stated I really didn't want to do the job again.
Will then offered to credit the entire cost of the baffle back to me.
Which of course I accepted.  IMHO, this type of service is rare, these
days.

When I decided to rebuild the motor to a 2.5, I sourced most the parts
from TMS.  They went as far as removing items that came with the "2.5
kit" per my requests.  I know most other vendors would have said no to
removing items because it is sold as a "kit" and priced accordingly.  Or
that if I wanted to only buy certain pieces that could be done but would
be priced by the piece and not the kit price less $$$ for the items I
didn't want.  At a critical point in the rebuild we discovered we needed
additionally parts.  I was able to call TMS and they shipped the
necessary items for Sat delivery, so we could complete the project.

I have always received the highest level of service from TMS.  I don't
personally know anyone that works there.  Until my motor rebuild, I had
not spent lots of $$$ with them.  I consider myself to be an average
customer.  However, I have always received top notch products (except
the baffle) and service from them.  They have been knowledgeable and
honest.  I would recommend you discuss your specific concerns with them.
Ask for references in your area that have the specific mod and then
arrange to see those cars.  One last thought, many vendors sell the same
exact parts but repackage or rebrand the parts and significantly mark up
the price.  So don't end up paying more just because the part comes from
Dinan, Korman, etc.

BTW, is the lightened flywheel a Motorsport part or stock part that has
been shaved?

Good Luck,

Tarun Kundhi
91 M3 2.5 koalapower