Re: confusion on limited slip differentials

           James;
                You have two seperate things confused as one.A Limited Slip
Differential refers to the TYPE of differential.The ratios question refers
to the different gearing ratios available in your car or anyones,whether it
is a LSD type or an "open" rear.The LSD has clutches added in it's design
that will sense wheel spin, and transfer power to the wheel that isn't
slipping,thus giving the car more usable power and traction in high speed
cornering or bad weather and road conditions.There are more than one types
of limited slip differentials,and they may also have a different pecentage
of ability to affect wheel spin etc.Most limited slips come in 25% to 75%
ratio of SLIP adjustment(clutches),and that "ratio" has nothing to do with
the actual "gearing ratios" in your car,which refers to the actual size of
the gear sets transfering power from the driveshaft into the two rear
axles.Clear so far?
                BMW factory LSD's installed in new cars have a clutch system
that over the years has been mostly 25%,and many in a hurry or in
competition have them changed to about 50/75%.OPtional GEAR ratios are
rarely if ever offered by BMW when you pick up a new car,unless you may be
in the "Individual"program that allows you to build your own car on paper
before the factory does it on the production line.
               For faster acceleration you need to change the GEAR  RATIO of
your diff.,not it's type,which may already be an LSD>
                  I changed ratios on  my 5'series from 3.25 to 3.73,and the
other from 3.45 to 3.91. In both cases my acceleration went up close to 25%
when combined with a computer "chip" change.
                  You may be able to find a good,used diff.that has lower
gear ratios to add to your acceleration,and also is an LSD for added
traction.You may already have the LSD in the present diff.,as I would think
they are in most "is" cars.check with the dealer,as your VIN# will probably
tell.Hope this is clear enough;left a few things out but this should clear
it up for you.
                                        "RA"/Bob G.