confusion on limited slip differentials

>    I've been reading about the lsd and i'm kinda confused. Is there two
> different products using the same name? I read about one lsd that deals
> with  the gears and improving acceleration and one lsd that deals with
> the wheels  and improving the wheel traction.
<snip>
>  I'm looking for a product that would give my car faster acceleration and
>  i  think this might be it. But i'm not exactly sure what is what. If you
> guys  can help me out that would be great.

First, on the diffs:  One is a traditional friction-type limited-slip that
attempts to deal with wheelspin by controlling the difference in speed
between the wheels on opposite sides of the car.  This is done with
clutches inside the differential body.

The other is a Quaife worm-gear-type torque-biasing differential.  The
premise here is that a series of worm-gears are arranged inside the
differential in a way that (highly oversimplified) causes a wheel that
loses grip to actually tighten the worm gears against the diff case,
causing the side that has grip to get more torque.

Some racers have a preference for one over the other.  Car setup and
cornering balance can be a factor: in conditions of marginal grip, the
clutch-types put more force through the inside drive wheel in a turn, the
Quaifes (and Torsens, and TrueTracs, and Gold Tracs, and other similar
designs) put more force through the outside drive wheel.  Clutch-type
limited-slips wear, a Quaife will normally retain its effectiveness
indefinitely, but they generate heat when used hard and long track sessions
(30-40+ minutes) with high-HP engines will push diff-oil temps way up and
may require a cooler.

Second, on the goals: If your goal is faster straight-line acceleration in
street use, and you're not currently traction-limited (that is, you're not
spinning wheels) you're going to see no gain from either of these products.
If you are traction-limited, either one will help and there's not much to
choose between them in general street use.

I am, to this point, on the worm-gear camp; I have a Gold Trac in my track
Mustang, a Quaife in my Taurus SHO (another advantage of the worm-gear
torque-biasing diffs is that they can be used in FWD vehicles; clutch-type
diffs set up loose enough to be usable in FWD are generally not very
effective) which also sees a certain amount of track time, and am waiting
for the E39 5er Quaife to be available - rather frustrating that the E39
540i goes out the door with an open diff, DSC is not an acceptable
substitute.

John.