RE: limited slip differentials

ISsEyM328@domain.elided wrote:

>    I was wondering if i should get the Dinan limited slip
> differentials to give my '99 328is a boost of hp and torque?

Rear differential (limited slip or not) gearing has 0 (ZERO) effect on the
engine hp/torque.

> i heard the limited slip is also called the "poor man's
> turbo" because it's much cheaper and it gives a lot more hp
> and torque then basic bolt-ons. What do you guys think about
> the slip and should i buy it from Dinan?

If you KNOW your driving habits can benefit from re-mapped gearing, then a
higher ratio rear diff (or a re-geared transmission) is for you.
Limited slip diff, by itself, would offer improvement over the same ratio
open end diff when it comes to accelerating out of the corner (with DSC
turned off). A higher numeric ratio rear diff will move your shifting points
and cruising speed higher up the RPM range. In most cases this will move you
closer to the peak torque of the engine and improve your straight line
acceleration. At the cost of reduced top speed.
As far as buying from Dinan goes, IMHO, you will be hard pressed to find any
place that will charge you more.
No matter where you go shopping, rear diffs are not cheap. Make sure this is
really how you want to spend the $$$$.

alex f

> James
> 99 328is