shroud/air duct?

I need some help from some other E36 3ers out there.  I just had my '93
325is serviced for the 60,000 miles, and I noticed something.  My service
guy removed my K & N air filter, and stuck in a Mann.  At least he gave me
back the K & N, so I was able to clean  it. But when I went to put it back,
I noticed something weird.  At the front of the air filter housing, there is
an intake opening that is somewhat oval shaped with a rib around it--like
something should attach there.  It seems to me that there should be some
sort of duct attached to this that draws air from down by the front grill.
Instead, there is just this hole in the front of the housing.  Is that
right, or am I missing a part?