'87 325e Coolant Loss

I have an '87 325e with 117,000 miles.  It uses no oil, runs smoothly, but
has started losing coolant.  There are no obvious drops, stains, etc. on or
under the engine.

When the engine starts and runs, there is no stream of coolant or steam
coming from the tailpipe.  The normal drops of water due to cold startup are
present, but quickly disappear once the engine warms up.

Is there something that I'm overlooking or is it just automatically assumed
that the headgasket is the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

R.K.Beard