Intermittent wipers sticking

Hi there,

Can anyone please help?....

I have an '88 325 (E30) and I'm having trouble with the wipers. They work
normally when on fast or slow wipe, but when I switch them on at the 'delay'
(intermittent) setting they make a couple of jerky moves up the screen then
stop at about 30 degrees. They do exactly the same thing if I activate them
by flicking the lever downwards (Which would normally result in a single
wipe). If I hold the lever down they'll wipe normally until I let it go
whereupon they stop again.

Anyone had this trouble? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Paul
New Zealand.